Whether you are bringing your product to market for the first time or taking your company to the next level, GS1 US makes it easier to do business.
With more than 40 years of experience, in 25 industries, GS1 US is helping 280,000+ small business members to do business better. We help improve product information, increase business efficiencies, enhance product safety, and much more. We engage with multiple industries through industry-driven initiatives and readiness programs. Learn more about the work GS1 US is involved with in your industry.
GS1 Standards are the global language of business. Language for identifying, capturing and sharing information, automatically and accurately. So anyone who wants that information can understand it, no matter who or where they are. We make it possible for the right product to be at the right place at the right time. And for everyone to trust that the information they see about that product is correct. When businesses work together, using GS1 Standards, they can move their inventory efficiently and safely.
How GS1 US Works with Small Business
If you are asked by your retail trading partner to place a Universal Product Code (U.P.C.) barcode on your product and communicate your information via EDI and you don’t know where to begin—GS1 US is here to help you implement those standards with tools, training and education.
Business requires a common language, and we make that possible. GS1 US helps companies use GS1 Standards to connect easily with their trading partners—making it possible to:
- Bring products to market (right the first time)
- Helps you get your first barcode(s)
- Meet your trading partners’ requests
- Integrate new technologies & tackle the learning curve
- Be easier to do business with
- Grow your business and take it to the next level
At GS1 US, we give you more than just a number. When you license your GS1 Company Prefix, you become a member of GS1 US. We will help you make the most out of your GS1 Company Prefix by giving you unique access to the tools and resources you need to help your business:
- GS1 US Data Hub® | Product – For small businesses, GS1 US Data Hub | Product is an essential online tool that takes the guesswork out of creating product identifiers and barcodes--helping the small business avoid costly mistakes.
- Priority Member Support – Our Member Support team is only a toll-free phone call away, with reduced wait times and extended hours to answer your questions.
- Access to “MyGS1 US” – This member-only area of our website gives you access to all of your need-to-know information in one place. It also gives you access to our Solutions Center, an online reference library of standards, guides, and implementation documents.
- On-Demand Training and Ask the Experts Webinars – Get direct access to GS1 Standards experts in our monthly webinar series.
- The Blessing Basket Project® (Blessing Basket) – Partners with 3,000 artisans in some of the world’s most geographically dispersed countries. With a supply chain so widespread and artisan suppliers difficult to reach managing inventory, quality control, on-time delivery and cash payments were onerous for this non-profit organization. To uniquely identify each woven basket, Blessing Basket assigns a GS1 Global Trade Item Number® (GTIN®), which is encoded in a Universal Product Code (U.P.C.) barcode that is printed on the label applied to the basket.
- The Neiman Marcus Group (NMG) – As a specialty retailer, NMG thrives on offering the latest from upcoming designers and artisans. Since many of them are small enterprises, NMG was especially sensitive about providing them with the hands-on support they might need for a successful transition. With help from GS1 US and two GS1 US Solution Partners (Intertrade and DiCentral), NMG educated and supported its 2,700+ vendors—both large suppliers and small artisan companies—in executing NMG’s supplier enablement solution.
- Herbal Destination & Voodoo Ride – Herbal Destination and Voodoo Ride, both small growing businesses, were working to expand their distribution channels to include large, national retailers. Each was using barcodes purchased from online barcode sellers; yet, they soon discovered they needed to use the GS1 Company Prefix and other GS1 Standards to conduct business with these mass retailers. They contacted GS1 US—who is authorized in the U.S. to license the GS1 Company Prefix—and now, each business creates U.P.C. for its products that protect its company’s brand identity as they travel through the supply chain. By using additional GS1 Standards to identify cases and locations as well as share and synchronize data, the companies can start to realize operational benefits and growth.
- SunFed – With help from HarvestMark and GS1 Standards, SunFed has made case- and item-level traceability an integral part of its business and has full visibility of its produce traveling from fields to kitchens.
- ENMON – Data Driver (now GS1 US Data Hub | Product) enables smaller size companies to trade products with larger retailers. There is no need to invest in a lot of training on GS1 Standards, since the tool complies with the standards and facilitates the creation of GS1 standard-compliant barcodes.
- Print Media - Print Media developed a GS1 standards-enabled business process by implementing Global Location Numbers and the GLN Registry™ for Healthcare®.
* In this publication, the letters “U.P.C.” are used solely as an abbreviation for the “Universal Product Code” which is a product identification system. They do not refer to the UPC, which is a federally registered certification mark of the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO) to certify compliance with a Uniform Plumbing Code as authorized by IAPMO.