Build a Sample U.P.C. Barcode
The number in a U.P.C. barcode (called a GTIN) is typically 12 digits long. This wizard helps illustrate how you create a GTIN-12.
- It starts with your U.P.C. Company Prefix that was assigned to your company when they became a member of GS1 US. Your U.P.C. Company Prefix could be between six and ten digits long.
- The next one to five digits are for the item reference numbers that you will assign to your unique product variations
- The 12th digit is called the check digit, which is calculated based on the other numbers in the GTIN-12 and ensures accuracy.
Create Your GTIN-12
- Find your GS1 Company Prefix Certificate to get your U.P.C. Company Prefix.
Your company received the certificate when they became a member of GS1 US.
If you don't have a copy of your Prefix Certificate, you can log in to myGS1 US and view or download a copy here.
- Follow the instructions on the wizard below.